Series: Elemental Assassin
Published by Simon and Schuster on February 23rd 2016
Genres: fantasy, Urban
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository
Also in this series: Spider's Bite, Web of Lies
Also by this author: Touch of Frost, Kiss of Frost
Which is stronger: blood ties or a battle-tested friendship? That’s the question Gin Blanco asks when a friend’s long-lost relative strolls into town. The suspicious reunion is a surprise for everyone—and a big problem for Gin. Book fourteen in the New York Times bestselling urban fantasy series RT Book Reviews calls “unbeatable entertainment!”
It’s not easy being queen bee of an underworld abuzz with crooks and killers. Wielding my potent Ice and Stone elemental magic will only get me so far—my real secret is my tight-knit makeshift family, a motley crew of cops and criminals, dwarves and playboys. My foster brother Finnegan Lane is my right-hand man, but when his suddenly not-dead relative comes back into the picture, I’m the one on the outside looking in.
It’s funny how life works: one minute your best friend is rock-steady, and the next he’s doe-eyed and buying into this whole loving-relative routine to the point of ignoring you. I’d like to be happy for Finn, I really would. But all of my instincts are telling me that beneath the syrupy sweet demeanor and old-fashioned charm, this sudden interloper is planning something. The whole shtick leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. This person might have avoided the grave once, but I’ll put anyone who hurts Finn in the ground—for good.
I’m going to go about this review a little differently. I figured I’d list my likes and dislikes.
- Love being back in Gin’s world
- Gin’s fierce loyalty to her family
- Seeing bits and pieces of Gin’s younger self
- The whole story line and the cat and mouse game Gin has to play
- Gin and her sister finally being in complete agreement about something
- Finn not putting his trust in Gin
- Finn acting like a jackass toward Gin and their friends
- Basically Finn in this book. I know he can’t help how he feels, but come on!!!! Don’t just stop trusting those that have always been there for you.
Overall, I loved this book. It felt like we were back to the nitty gritty feel of the first Elemental Assassin’s books. I can’t wait for the next one!
Reading this book contributed to these challenges: