Charles Bukowski was an American poet, novelist, and short story writer. He is one of the most influential and widely read authors of the 20th century. His works are often characterized by their dark humor and gritty realism. He is best known for his novels Post Office and Factotum, and his poetry collections Love is a Dog from Hell and Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. Here, we explore some of his most famous quotes and sayings.Find deal!
Life and Works
Charles Bukowski was born in Andernach, Germany in 1920. He moved to the United States with his family when he was three years old. He grew up in Los Angeles, where he attended Los Angeles High School. He dropped out of school at the age of sixteen and worked a variety of odd jobs before becoming a full-time writer in the 1950s. He wrote extensively about his life and experiences, often in a humorous and irreverent style. He is best known for his novels Post Office and Factotum, and his poetry collections Love is a Dog from Hell and Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. If you're a fan of gritty, raw and unapologetic writing, then Charles Bukowski is probably already on your radar. The American writer and poet was known for his blunt honesty and often controversial subject matter. But beyond the shock value of his work, there are some truly insightful gems to be found in Bukowski's words.Whether you're looking for inspiration or just a good dose of reality, the collection of Charles Bukowski quotes we've put together has something for everyone. From musings on love and life to observations about society and culture, these sayings offer a unique perspective that's both thought-provoking and entertaining.Some standout quotes include 'Find what you love and let it kill you,' 'The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence,' and 'We're all going to die, all of us; what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't.'If you enjoy exploring different perspectives through quotes like those from Bukowski, check out our collections from Tim Burton or Akira Kurosawa . Each offers their own unique insights into life, creativity, artistry and more.
Quotes and Sayings
Charles Bukowski was known for his darkly humorous and often irreverent quotes and sayings. Here are some of his most famous quotes:Get price!
- “Find what you love and let it kill you.”
- “Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.”
- “We are like roses that have never bothered to bloom when we should have bloomed and it is as if the sun has become disgusted with waiting.”
- “Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way.”
- “An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.”
Bukowski was an avid writer, and his quotes on writing are often inspiring and thought-provoking. Here are some of his most famous quotes on writing:
- “Writing about a writer’s block is better than not writing at all.”
- “Writing is a way of talking without being interrupted.”
- “Writing is a way of life. It’s not just a hobby or a job.”
- “Writing is a form of therapy; sometimes I wonder how all those who do not write, compose, or paint can manage to escape the madness, melancholia, the panic and fear which is inherent in a human situation.”
Bukowski was known for his frank and often humorous take on life. Here are some of his most famous quotes on life:
- “Life is a dirty trick played on us by nature.”
- “Life is a tragedy filled with joy.”
- “Life is a game, play it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is an opportunity, capture it.”
- “Life is too short to be anything but happy.”
Bukowski was known for his frank and often humorous take on love. Here are some of his most famous quotes on love:
- “Love is a form of prejudice.”
- “Love is a dog from hell.”
- “Love is a way of survival.”
- “Love is a way of escape.”
Charles Bukowski was an influential and widely read author of the 20th century. His works are often characterized by their dark humor and gritty realism. He is best known for his novels Post Office and Factotum, and his poetry collections Love is a Dog from Hell and Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame. Here, we explored some of his most famous quotes and sayings. From his quotes on writing, life, and love, we can gain insight into his unique worldview and his take on the human condition.