I received this book for free from Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia
Published by HarperCollins on May 30th 2017
Genres: Contemporary, Romance, Young Adult
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository
Also by this author: Eliza and Her Monsters
Her story is a phenomenon. Her life is a disaster.
In the real world, Eliza Mirk is shy, weird, and friendless. Online, she’s LadyConstellation, the anonymous creator of the wildly popular webcomic Monstrous Sea. Eliza can’t imagine enjoying the real world as much as she loves the online one, and she has no desire to try.
Then Wallace Warland, Monstrous Sea’s biggest fanfiction writer, transfers to her school. Wallace thinks Eliza is just another fan, and as he draws her out of her shell, she begins to wonder if a life offline might be worthwhile.
But when Eliza’s secret is accidentally shared with the world, everything she’s built—her story, her relationship with Wallace, and even her sanity—begins to fall apart.
5 reasons to read Eliza and Her Monsters
- It talks heavily about fandoms. And we all know how powerful fandoms can be.
- It’s definitely a coming of age. Trying to figure out where you fit in the world. And learning to be happy with yourself and your choices.
- I loved the friendship that she found with Wallace. Two people who do not feel whole coming together to teach each other something.
- The sketches inside the book. They are freaking beautiful. We also get little pieces of the Monstrous Sea story mixed in with Eliza’s.
- Friendships. Most of Eliza’s friends are online. And her parents think it’s odd. But I know exactly how Eliza feels. Many of my friends are book people that I’ve started talking to online. It doesn’t matter where they are, but that you have that close connection with someone.
Overall, a great book. I loved seeing inside Eliza’s comic, and seeing her grow throughout the book.
Reading this book contributed to these challenges:
- 2017 ARC August
- 2017 Contemporary Romance Challenge
- 2017 Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge
- 2017 New Release Challenge