About the Book
Steal the book.
Save the future.In modern day New York, magic is all but extinct. The remaining few who have an affinity for magic—the Mageus—live in the shadows, hiding who they are. Any Mageus who enters Manhattan becomes trapped by the Brink, a dark energy barrier that confines them to the island. Crossing it means losing their power—and often their lives.Esta is a talented thief, and she’s been raised to steal magical artifacts from the sinister Order that created the Brink. With her innate ability to manipulate time, Esta can pilfer from the past, collecting these artifacts before the Order even realizes she’s there. And all of Esta’s training has been for one final job: traveling back to 1902 to steal an ancient book containing the secrets of the Order—and the Brink—before the Magician can destroy it and doom the Mageus to a hopeless future.
But Old New York is a dangerous world ruled by ruthless gangs and secret societies, a world where the very air crackles with magic. Nothing is as it seems, including the Magician himself. And for Esta to save her future, she may have to betray everyone in the past.
10 Facts about Esta Filosik and Time Travel
- I stole Esta’s name from an older lady at church. She struck me as delightfully feisty and I thought the name was interesting and also really pretty.
- I learned recently that in certain areas of Spain, Esta’s name is slang for a male reproductive organ. Oops. The Spanish editions of TLM will feature a character named Estrella instead.
- Esta was the first idea I had for TLM. I knew I wanted a girl thief who could see in bullet time.
- I took some of Esta’s character from Parker in Leverage.
- Originally, Esta was going to be a thief in the present-day. I’d imagined her riding motorcycles through the traffic of D.C. I even looked into motorcycle courses, before I changed my mind about where the story was set.
- Esta was trained to be a thief and trained to know everything about New York City in any era she travels to.
- Esta can’t stop time completely. She can pull the spaces between seconds slow, though.
- Anyone who is touching her will also experience her manipulations of time. Anyone not touching her won’t even realize what’s happening.
- She can only travel through time using a special stone called Ishtar’s Key.
- Time is layered and it is linked to place. Esta can only get to a place if it existed at the time she wants to slip to. If she’s in a building, she can only get to other times when that particular building existed.
Giveaway #1: The Last Magician Swag Pack
- Leave a comment telling me your favorite time travel book or character.
- I will close this giveaway at midnight on August 23, 2017.
- Giveaway is International.
Giveaway #2: Signed copy of The Last Magician with a bonus swag pack that includes a few extra things to one winner
About Lisa Maxwell