Published by HarperTeen on June 26th 2007
Buy on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, The Book Depository
This book has Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
A DEADLY LOVE TRIANGLE
Elena: the golden girl, the leader, the one who can have any boy she wants.
Stefan: brooding and myterious, he seems to be the only one who can resist Elena, even as he struggles to protect her from the horrors that haunt his past.
Damon: sexy, dangerous, and driven by an urge for revenge against Stefan, the brother who betrayed him. Determined to have Elena, he'd kill to possess her.
Collected here in one volume for the first time, volumes one and two of The Vampire Diaries, the tale of two vampire brothers and the beautiful girl torn between them.
So, I TOTALLY adore The Vampire Diaries with a fiery passion; both the show and the books, though I watched the show before I read the books because I suck.
A few weeks ago I went to the Arlington Convention Center’s Half Price Books blowout sale where EVERYTHING was $2 or less. I picked up every Vamp Diaries book they had. I got the ones where they’re 2-in-1 so, it was The Awakening/The Struggle, The Fury/Dark Reunion, The Return: Nightfall, The Return: Shadow Souls, and The Return: Midnight. So far, I’m only in Dark Reunion. I apologize, but I still felt it needs to be discussed how vastly different the show and books are. Katrina warned me, btw. I read anyway.
There’s a comparison below but first I just want to say to anyone who hasn’t read the books but has seen the show, please read the books! There are hardly any resemblances and it genuinely felt like I was reading completely new material. I love it a lot, actually. Now, let’s get some comparisons going.
- Elena is blonde-haired and blue eyed and a TOTAL BIOTCH. She’s like the TV show’s Katherine. Cringe.
- Elena still has a soft spot for Matt.
- Bonnie is pale and red-haired.
- Jeremy does not exist. Elena has a little 4 year old sister named Margaret.
- Bonnie is descended from druids.
- The town is named Fell’s Church (it’s weird that it has 2 words, actually).
- Damon is way nastier and a lot more mean in the books.
- The vamps can affect the weather and have more powers.
- Basically, all of the traumatic, high-intensity fight scenes and bad stuff that happens in the show doesn’t actually happen; it’s all different events for the most part. Which is nuts.
- There’s blood sharing in the books between Elena and the brothers.
- Elena is dark haired and of Bulgarian descent? She’s descended from Katherine!
- The town’s name is Mystic Falls.
- Bonnie is African American and descended from the Salem witches.
- Damon is tamer and in love with Elena quickly, not just wanting to steal her from Stefan.
- Vamps can use persuasion to make people do things still, but they can’t make it storm or anything.
- Elena’s parents have just recently died when the show starts vs. dying 3 years prior to the book.
- Elena doesn’t drink Stefan’s blood in a romantic way as a human.
- There’s a LOT more sexy scenes up in this.
- Elena’s bff Meredith doesn’t make it on the show!
- Caroline isn’t quite as retched in the show, which I really like because she’s despicable in the books.
Those are the main things I wanted to bring up. I know I’m late to this party but at least I made it, am I right?! What do you guys think? What other differences have you noticed? I only listed 20 but they’re so different there could be hundreds. Also, who’s on Stefan’s side and who’s on Damon’s? I think I’m in love with TV show Damon. Let me know in the comments! Happy reading. 🙂